Friday, September 7, 2012

Something Old, New, Borrowed, or Blue?

To my Artsy, Crafty, Gift-giving, and/or Pinterest-Inclined Friends...

I have started compiling a list of a few small items we would be so thankful to acquire before Baby Joey's arrival- only 3 months away (or sooner)!  Because of my recent scare that I had already lost him, I feel more pressure to get on the ball in this department.  I think it would be so incredibly special if people we know would be interested in making any of these for us, but I would also be willing to buy them... if you can help me find where!

1. Little Hats, and/or Miniature Baby Blankets- sounds like we'll need a few- for hospital, photos, (home-maybe?), and funeral.  I think the homemade crocheted hats are so much more beautiful than the hospital ones.  I especially think little Mary's hat is so perfect here.. http://www.prenatalpartnersforlife.org/Stories/AnencephalyStoriesIndex.htm. Anybody want to make me some, and/or matching miniature baby blankets?  That would be sooo sweet.  The hats would need to be very little (like preemie or doll-size) and if they have some thickness to the top, they seem to look really nice in pictures. The blankets can be teeny-tiny, like doll blankets also.

2. Clothing- So, we'll most likely need only a couple of outfits as well.  We're looking for the type of outfit that would look beautiful in pictures after birth, and/or funeral services, and I can't find anything special enough to purchase.  I think a fuzzy Carter's-type sleeper, with a Bible verse sewn in calligraphy would be very special. (white on blue; or blue on white)  Anybody want to find or sew something like this for us...?  I can give you our favorite Bible verses if you would be interested in doing this.  I think an outfit like the following, with a med-light blue hat, and tiny matching blanket would be so beautiful. (This picture is Dominic Gundrum, who has encephalocele. I wrote about him in my previous post.)  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dominicgundrum/photos/entry/num/8

3. Memory Box-  So, other folks suggested putting a few keepsakes (a few pictures, an outfit Joey wore, a blanket, stuffed animal, etc) in a memory box afterwards, that is pretty enough to put on display.  Some people get a small cedar chest, or a larger jewelry box, etc. Any suggestions?

4. Three Plaster Mold Kits- For taking a mold of baby's Joey's hands and feet, and an extra for messing up!  (I'm not sure, but I hear it can be bought at craft stores?)

5. Haberman Feeder-? Supposedly effective in helping babies with neural tube disorders and/or cleft palate nurse.  Don't know if we will be able to use it at all, but it might be worth trying.  Anybody have one we can borrow?    

6. Stethoscope/Heartbeat Monitor of some kind?  Silly question, maybe.. but does anyone have a stethoscope and/or heartbeat monitor lying around that we could borrow for a while?  We've heard it's so comforting to hear the baby's heartbeat during the continuing pregnancy.  

7. Big Sister Shirt/Outfit for Elisa- She's a peanut, but let's suppose she'll be in 18-month clothes by then.  If you have one or two we could borrow, that would be awesome.

8. Large Maternity Dress- So... I've also gotten advice that I should have a dress lined up for the funeral.  I'm a pretty pitiful shopper anyhow, and won't be in any state of mind to shop then.  Soon after giving birth, it'll still need to be a maternity dress.  Anybody have one that I could possibly borrow?

If you have any other suggestions about little essentials we'll need, just let me know. Thanks!
PS- I think we're in good shape with everything on this list now!  Thank you everyone for your generosity! =) 9/20/12


7 comments:

  1. I will make a 2 blue cloud like fleece blankets. We also have some plaster of paris for hand and feet prints. The kindergarten kids made them in small pizza boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember the name of it but the air dry clay that is really light and doesn't need to be cooked to set hard is great. I made casts of our friends' kids hands for mothers day a while back and it's nice and cheap. It might be nice to have a spare in case of toe curls etc that can make casting hard. Plus copies are nice.

    I'm also not sure if you've heard of it yet or not but I would be remiss not to pass along this site: https://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/ It's a marvelous group of professional photographers who will come and take pictures of babies and their family when it's not expected for baby to survive or live long. They do all their work for free and will give you a cd of all the touched up pictures when they are done processing them. (at least that was how it worked last I heard). It's a wonderful service and so nice that it's free, you have enough to deal w/ and enough expenses to worry about you shouldn't have to pay a photographer too to get good keepsakes.
    If no one steps up w/ a dress please let me know, I have a couple nice black maternity ones I was given I could ship your way for you to try if'd like.
    Nicki (Saul) Herold

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was already planning to make a blanket, and I'll make my first attempt at a hat! I was thinking of making a little baptiamal stole; I can cross-stitch your favorite scripture verse in it.

    Catie has a nice maternity dress of mine that is a blackand white pattern. It is very pretty. I can have her pass it onto you this fall instead of sending it home to me.

    Love you,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Thanks! My favorite verses are below. You can pick!

      LK 18:16- The kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these
      Ps 139:14- I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made
      Jer 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you
      (1 Samuel 1: 27- 28) For this child I have prayed

      Delete
  4. I was already planning to make a blanket, and I'll make my first attempt at a hat! I was thinking of making a little baptiamal stole; I can cross-stitch your favorite scripture verse in it.

    Catie has a nice maternity dress of mine that is a blackand white pattern. It is very pretty. I can have her pass it onto you this fall instead of sending it home to me.

    Love you,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stina has a solid black maternity dress with 3/4 length sleeves, if you'd like. and I'd love to find some Big sister outfits for Elisa :)

    love & prayers,
    Joani

    ReplyDelete