Thursday, September 13, 2012

Downsizing the Bucket List...

When I wrote in an earlier post about taking Baby Joey on adventures in utero... I was in the midst of 2nd trimester and feeling great!  I was having a somewhat-fiendish delight in thinking about all the things I would like to do with him- (As in, all the things that you're NOT supposed to do while pregnant!) Like... riding roller coasters, water slides, horseback riding, downhill skiing, drinking beer, eating blue cheese and lunchmeat, skydiving.. (LOL- not really going that far!)  But, you get the drift.  I could just imagine the look on an operator's face when I was stopped for being pregnant-- "It's ok!" I'd say,cheerfully.  "My baby only has 3 months to live, and we're making memories!"  

My thought was not intending to be reckless, just adventurous.  As many of my friends know, "adventure" is one of my favorite things in life!  And so, sharing adventures is one thing I feel I'm really going to miss experiencing with my firstborn son.

[We have managed to complete a few adventures in Baby Joey's lifetime so far- (but not nearly as crazy as the ideas above!)-- camping a few times, hiking, walked a 1/2 marathon, square danced in a world-record attempting event, cheered on Daddy at the Mudstash (5K Obstacle Course) etc., to name a few.  We do still have a trip to Chicago and the Willis Tower hopefully on our Bucket List, in addition to several weddings, and a few small other things.]  

That being said, however, now that I'm rapidly approaching third trimester, I've popped out (tremendously) and am starting to feel like a beached whale.  Adventures still sound enticing... but pretty much seem physically impossible.  We went camping last weekend and I could barely get around to chase my toddler, let alone try to get some sleep at night!  I was having a lot of Braxton-Hicks contractions all weekend, and I was just uncomfortable in general, for many reasons.  

I was starting to feel pretty down about being at the point of the third trimester aches and pains already.  On the one hand, I couldn't believe I felt this way already, and still have 3 months to go.  On the other hand, I couldn't believe I only have 3 months to go, and feel like I can't get around to do much anymore!

I was thinking about this problem a lot last night.  I was exhausted, but I couldn't sleep; meanwhile Baby Joey was doing gymnastic floor exercises right across my abdomen!  I started to imagine what Joey was thinking, and what he'd say about all of this.  I imagine he'd say something like, "Silly Mommy!  I just want you to sit here and hold me.  I don't want to run all around everywhere- I'm a baby remember?!  If you just lie still, I'll wiggle for you...  And, maybe tomorrow we can play with Elisa too!"

The thought was very sweet and made me tear up.  I remember many days after Elisa was born, just staying home, holding and snuggling with her.  It was some of the most wonderful time I've ever spent in my life.  I can't imagine regretting a second of it!  

So, I got to thinking... maybe Baby Joey is a cuddler too! Maybe he doesn't even really like adventures that much...  (Hard to believe, I know. LOL)  Maybe he just wants to spend time playing with his sister, and being held by his mommy.  Maybe he wants to show off his gymnastics, and I have to sit still so I can feel how impressive his movements are.

Maybe he's glad that I'm slowing down...  Maybe he just wants to spend the last three months with me?                             

No comments:

Post a Comment