Monday, December 3, 2012

Getting Back to "Normal"

I'm on such a roll for writing blog posts tonight, why not keep it going!  It occurred to me, after I posted all the other thoughts, that this was the one I was thinking of first.  The other thoughts were difficult to get out, but this one is pretty lighthearted.  I think my old friends, especially, will get a kick out of this reflection.

Anyhow-- I realized something today-- not new by any stretch of my close friends' imaginations, but an epiphany of the moment for me.  It occurred to me that I love/seek/crave intense moments, intense experiences.  So, the full experience of Joey's life, in all seriousness, probably suited me quite well.  It seems that, in my "past life," I'm pretty sure I said, "What's the craziest thing I can do?" And then would I go ahead and do it.

The intensity of Joey's birth and death, the whirlwind of the funeral, the retreat, etc., experiencing life to the fullest, (even in suffering), is what I always seek out.  So, why would I expect the arrival and departure of Joey to be anything but?

That being said, it's been pretty difficult getting back to "normal" life, after the whirlwind has settled down.  What does normal look like, anyways? Lying on the couch all day? Good grief! (In actuality- now I feel great, I'm already back to my pre-Joey weight, and I feel more alive than ever... So, now what?)

Let's see, before Joey, I was nursing my baby Elisa.  Before that, I was teaching and pregnant.  Before that... I was single!  Wow, that's a crazy thought.  No wonder it's a tough transition.  I don't have a "normal" life to go back to.

If I went back to the old normal, well, it would be pretty much time for a new job, (long overdue in fact, LOL =), time to move to a new town, try a crazy new adventure, etc.  All kinds of outrageous ideas have crossed my mind, so I guess that shouldn't surprise anyone, let alone me! Matt's not exactly the crazy adventure type (which is probably a good thing), so I doubt he'd be up for moving away and trying something new and outrageous.

That being said, I've definitely been thinking alot about how to make a fresh start, how to make a new normal for my life as it currently stands.  Hmm... Well, for starters, I've been doing my hair once in a while. That would make my much cuter sister very proud.  (LOL.. that's not my first!! But my sister would be proud.)  For seconds... I'm trying a new weight loss system-- seems to be working awesome so far-- yay!  For thirds... (actually, first) I've been going to Mass each day and getting on a new earlier schedule, which is also going great.  Fourth... trying a new side business, and hoping to help others in a new way.  Fifth... not sure yet!  I'll keep you posted, as crazy ventures and ideas keep popping their heads up! (How do I always forget that this craziness suits me?!)    


1 comment:

  1. You crack me up. I can't believe you are doing your HAIR??? And getting up earlier??? Oh my goodness!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete